History of the Mitchell Area Safehouse
The Mitchell Area Safehouse was established in 1984. The Safehouse operated out of the YWCA, Betty Wilson’s retirement home, and than by renting rooms at the Siesta Motel. In 1990, a home was purchased at 219 West 3rd and a part-time executive director and live-in resident advocate were hired.
In 1996, a generous donation was given by Tanta Osterhaus. The donation was able to pay off the mortgage on the home on West 3rd. The Family Visitation Center was also established in 1996.
In 1998, Tanta Osterhaus gave another generous donation to begin the building fund of our current facility at 1809 N Wisconsin. In 1999 the shelter and visitation center became known as “Tanta’s House, Mitchell Area Safehouse and Family Visitation Center.”
Shelter: (605) 996-2765 • Hotline: (605) 996-4440 • Visitation Center: 605-996-8880
Mitchell Area Safehouse and
Family Visitation Center
1809 North Wisconsin, Mitchell, South Dakota 57301